Seaford Striders Running Club
CONSTITUTION AND RULES
1. The name of the Club is SEAFORD STRIDERS RUNNING CLUB
2. The headquarters of the club is DOWNS LEISURE CENTRE, SEAFORD, SUSSEX.
3. The main purposes of the club are to provide facilities for and to promote participation in the amateur sport of athletics in Seaford.
4. The management of the Club is vested in a Committee consisting of a Chairman, Honorary Treasurer, Honorary Secretary, Club Captain and at least six other members. The Committee are to be elected annually, six to form a quorum. The Committee has the power to fill any vacancy which may arise.
Election of Committee
5. The Committee is to be elected each year at the Annual General Meeting of the Club. Any Member of the Club who wishes to stand for election must inform the Honorary Secretary in writing at least 14 days before the AGM. Any person standing for election must be proposed by one member and seconded by another member of the Club.
6. In the event of two or more people wishing to stand for the same position on the Committee, a paper ballot will be taken. Two people will be appointed to count the votes. Each Member of the Club who attends the Annual General Meeting is eligible to vote. The non-voting Chairman of the Club will, in the event of a tied vote, have the casting vote
7. Membership of the club shall be open to anyone interested in the sport regardless of sex, age, disability, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or other beliefs. However, limitation of membership according to available facilities is allowable on a non discriminatory basis.
The Club Committee may refuse membership, or remove it, only for good cause such as conduct or character likely to bring the club or sport into disrepute, or, failure to pay the appropriate subscription. Appeal against refusal or removal may be made to the members.
8. A Member intending to withdraw from the Club shall give notice in writing to the Honorary Secretary, and membership terminates on the date of that notice unless the Member is financially indebted to the Club, in which case the Committee may withhold acceptance of the resignation until this liability has been discharged.
9. (a) The Annual Subscription of the Club will be the amounts agreed at the last Annual General Meeting and will be payable on the 1st of January in each year. The fee may be adjusted for persons wishing to join the Club part way through the year. This will be at the discretion of the Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer and Club Captain.
(b) The club may have different classes of membership and subscription on a non discriminatory and fair basis. The club will keep subscriptions at levels that will not pose a significant obstacle to people participating.
10. As part of their membership, all Members are required to marshall at a minimum of one Seaford Striders supported or organised race per membership year. (A list of the current races is published on the website and club noticeboard.) Should Members be unable to fulfil this requirement, they can, with prior notice and approval from a Member of the Committee, nominate another non-Seaford Striders Member to fulfil this requirement on their behalf.
Annual General Meeting
11. A General Meeting shall be held before the end of February in every year to receive the Committee’s report and financial statement, elect officers and Committee and deal with any other matter specified on the agenda. The Honorary Secretary must give every Member 21 days notice of the Meeting. Notice of any business which it is desired to be placed on the agenda must be given in writing to the Honorary Secretary at least 14 days prior to the meeting.
Special General Meeting
12. A Special General Meeting must be called by the Honorary Secretary within 14 days of the receipt by the Secretary of a requisition in writing signed by at least ten Members of the Club, stating the business to be brought before such a meeting.
Notice of Meeting
13. The Honorary Secretary shall give at least 7 days notice to every Member of the time and place of any General Meeting and the business to be dealt with, and no other business shall be dealt with at any such meeting.
Alteration in Rules
14. No alteration or addition may be made to the rules except by an Annual General Meeting or a Special General Meeting call for the purpose. Notice of any proposed amendment must be given as provided in Rules 12 and 13.
15. (a) The Honorary Treasurer will be responsible for all Club funds and for providing an audited account of such funds at the Annual General Meeting. Any financial payments, other than the normal running costs of the Club, must be agreed by the Committee at the next Committee Meeting.
(b) All surplus income or profits are to be re-invested in the Club. No surpluses or assets will be distributed to members or third parties.
(c) Upon dissolution of the club any remaining assets shall be given or transferred to another registered CASC, a registered charity or the sports governing body, for use by them in related community sports.